Friends, I’m calling on you. The husband and I are at a standstill over which sofa to buy for our family room. If you would, scroll through our thoughts on each of the contenders, check out the mood boards we put together, and weigh in with a comment about which choice you would vote for.
The Lowdown on Vimle:
- Cost (in the configuration shown): $799
- At this price, if it gets destroyed (by boys or dog or act of God) in the next couple of years, it’s not as big of a deal.
- Material: machine washable slipcovered polyester.
- I’m gonna be honest with you, I am absolutely NOT on top of getting dirty slipcovers (or anything else…) in the wash in a timely manner. This is a negative for the Vimle.
- At around $200, a back-up cover is super affordable.
- It could be hacked with some new legs to make it sleeker.
- A color this neutral really would go with anything.
- My husband: “It’s not very expensive. We have three small boys (a.k.a. Destroyers of Furniture, The Three Reasons Why We Can’t Have Nice Things, The Mess-Bringers) and are soon (apparently??) getting a puppy (!), who maybe will shred everything we own. And it’s cheap. Also you can store stuff in the chaise! Also, it doesn’t cost much.”
In my corner, Sven by Article:
Arguments for Sven:
- Cost: $2999
- While this may not be a lot for a leather sofa of this quality, it’s still more than double anything we’ve paid for a sofa before. And certainly a lot if it gets ruined in the next couple of years and we have to replace it sooner than we’d like.
- Material: Full grain Italian leather
- Beautiful, soft, buttery, WIPEABLE leather.
- Reviews say it’s dreamy and comfortable.
- Me: “It’s so pretty. I just really like it. And in case you missed it when I mentioned it before, YOU CAN WIPE SPILLS (or whatever) OFF OF LEATHER. It makes me happy to look at it. It’s the correct choice for our family — wait, for my heart.”
So with that said, here are the mood boards I created as mock-ups of our family room.
With Ikea’s Vimle sofa:
With Article’s Sven leather sofa:
So what do you think?? I promise not to try to get (too) upset if you don’t side with me. Give me your best thoughts and opinions — we’re moving in 10 days and I need to get this settled ASAP!