Have you ever noticed in the supermarket how they sell herb plants near the fresh herbs? And how similar in price the plants are to the cut herbs? It always seems so tempting to me to buy the plant instead of the package of cut herbs — there’s more on the plant anyway! And just think about how cost effective it is if you keep it alive!
If you keep it alive.
Well. I don’t know about you, but keeping a plant alive is something I’ve just about never managed to do. Nonetheless, last week I found myself in need of fresh basil, and I fell for the plant bit again. Which means…I’m desperately trying to come up with uses for fresh basil before the little guy inevitably dies.
As you likely know if you live on Earth, Sunday is Game of Thrones night. And Game of Thrones night, at least in my house, means Special Drinks (spoiler alert: I really don’t need much of an excuse for Special Drinks).
Obviously I had to try to incorporate the basil into this week’s Special Drink. Enter the Basil Lime Vodka Fizz. Bright, bubbly, summery, and enhanced by the depth of flavor that only fresh herbs can bring, it’s perfectly refreshing.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
Basil Lime Vodka Fizz
IngredientsFor the Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- approximately 10 fresh basil leaves
For the drink:
- 1.5 oz. vodka (pro tip: store your vodka in the freezer)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 to 3/4 oz. Basil Simple Syrup (to taste — recipe below)
- club soda as desired (roughly 2 – 3 oz.)
- Make the Basil Simple Syrup — on the stovetop (or in the microwave), bring sugar and water just to a boil and remove from heat. Add in 5-6 basil leaves, let steep 30 minutes.
- In a highball glass filled with ice, add vodka, lime juice, and simple syrup. Stir together.
- Top with club soda and garnish with basil leaves. Enjoy immediately if not sooner.